Gender Recognition Panel
Rules and legislation
Gender Recognition Panel guidance

Wanting to have a change of gender legally recognised

If you are over 18 years old and have lived in your chosen gender for more than 2 years, or you have changed gender in certain countries outside the UK and you want to have your new gender recognised in the UK, you can apply to the Gender Recognition Panel for a gender recognition certificate.

The Gender Recognition Panel, part of HM Courts & Tribunals Service, assesses applications from transsexual people to provide legal recognition of gender change.

To make an application you must be able to show:
•You have, or have had, gender dysphoria
•You have lived fully for the last two years in your acquired gender
•You intend to live permanently in your acquired gender

If applying from outside the UK you must show that you have been recognised in your acquired gender.

How to make an application

There are 3 ways in which you can apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate. The standard application route, the alternative application route and if you are applying from outside the UK the overseas application route.

Please make sure you read the General Guide for users before deciding which application route is most suitable for you, alternatively you can contact the administration team for the Gender Recognition Panel who will be able to give you further advice.

Please also read the guide Gender Recognition Certificate: pensions and benefits note. How getting a full Gender Recognition Certificate may affect National Insurance, pensions and other social security benefits.

The fee for making an application is £140. You may be able to apply for the fee to be reduced – EX160A Court and tribunal fees – do I have to pay them.

Send the form, supporting evidence and fee to:

Gender Recognition Panel
PO Box 9300

Phone: +44 (0) 300 1234 503


What happens next?

The panel will assess your application and the evidence supplied.

If your application is successful you will be issued with a temporary or full certificate.

If your application is not successful the panel will provide full reasons for its decision.

If you think that the panel acted unlawfully you may be able to appeal. Guidance on making an appeal will be sent with the decision letter.

Updated: Tuesday, 23 December 2014