FOCUS: THE IDENTITY TRUST, is the longest established peer support group in Northern Ireland whose Mission Statement is:
FOCUS: THE IDENTITY TRUST exists to provide social, educational and recreational activities for Transgender people in Northern Ireland and the Border counties of the Republic of Ireland who have been referred to us by a gender identity clinic, Registered Medical Practitioner or in some cases through self referral. The Trust will endeavor to provide a welcoming, safe and secure environment for all its members.
Additionally, the Trust exists to promote the development of educational information and advice on Transgender and Intersex issues in around employment, housing, legal, and general education issues within Northern Ireland in regard to how they affect Transgender and Intersex individuals and their relatives and friends.
In pursuance of its Mission Statement the Trust has the following objectives:
- To contribute to the creation and development of emerging policy and practice in relation to Transgender and Intersex issues, as they affect the areas of policy on employment and the delivery of information and training to employers, public bodies and trade unions and the general public, on issues affecting Transgender and Intersex individuals.
- To contribute to debate taking place locally, nationally, and internationally on Transgender and Intersex issues.
- To contribute to, and co-operate with ethical research projects to help increase and develop understanding of the causes and the incidence of Transgender (Gender Dysphoria) and Trans-phobia.
- To develop closer co-operation and collaboration among Transgender and Intersex groups on the island of Ireland, Great Britain, and Europe.
- To establish, maintain, and develop a library of resources on issues relevant to Transgender and Intersex individuals and their friends and families in Northern Ireland.
- To provide a network of Transgender and Intersex individuals willing to provide one-to one peer support for individuals and families struggling with their own or a family member’s gender identity.
The Trust has the following guiding principles:
- To assist Transgender and Intersex individuals in the promotion of their own positive mental health, in their personal and social development, to encourage growth in self-esteem and confidence, and help them to learn from their shared experiences.
- To help Transgender and Intersex individuals to participate in the Trust’s Peer Support Groups, to express their views and play an active part in the planning and management of their own activities.
- To assist Transgender and Intersex individuals to become aware of their rights and responsibilities as active citizens.
- To promote the welfare and safety of Transgender and Intersex individuals at all times.
FOCUS : THE IDENTITY TRUST can be contacted through our Administrator Susan Fleming on email@example.com